To submit a comment, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Description found in Archives
1. Molson Archives collection [graphic material]
2. Molson Archives collection [graphic material]
3. Molson Archives collection [graphic material]
4. Molson Archives collection [graphic material]
5. Molson Archives collection [graphic material]
6. Molson Archives collection [graphic material]
7. Molson Archives [graphic material]
8. Molson Archives [graphic material]
9. Molson Archives [graphic material]
10. Molson Archives [graphic material]
11. Molson Archives collection [graphic material]
12. Molson Archives collection [graphic material]
13. Molson Companies Ltd. collection [graphic material]
14. Molson Archives collection [graphic material]
15. Molson Archives collection [graphic material] (119-020191-7)
16. Molson collection [graphic material]
17. Senator Hartland Molson collection [graphic material] (121-080212-0)
18. Molson Archives collection [graphic material] (121-080257-0)
19. Molson Company Collection [object]
20. Molson Archives [textual records]
21. Molson Archives [textual records]
22. Molson Archives [textual records]
23. Molson Archives [textual records (microform)]
24. Molson Archives [textual records]
25. Molson Archives fonds [textual records] (119-020191-7)
26. Molson Archives fonds [textual records] (117-020085-0)
27. Molson Archives fonds [textual records] (117-020084-2)
28. Molson Archives fonds [textual records, graphic material] (121-020143-7)
29. Molson Archives [object]
30. Molson Letters [textual record] (1999-01450-2)
31. Molson Archives [textual record] (2000-01266-3)
Place of creation
No place, unknown, or undetermined
16 microfilm reels of textual records.
17 v. ill.
6,428 photographs b&w and col.
1061 architectural drawings.
175 technical drawings.
92 maps some mss.
241 prints various processes, incl. 2 albums.
42 watercolours incl. gouache.
15 paintings incl. oil on canvas, oil on board.
12 drawings various media.
2 objects cuff links.
ca. 3353 film reels.
ca. 1341 videocassettes.
2 optical tracks.
1 magnetic track.
4 audio reels.
3 audio cassettes.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of textual records, n.d., 1619-1992, documenting the personal lives of the first three generations of the Molson family, as well as their business interests regarding Molson's brewing and distilling operations, and various other Molson business enterprises. Also includes material detailing the daily operations of Molson's Brewery Limited and its successors, as well as some material relating to the fourth and later generations of the Molson family. There are four series: Reference material on the Molson Family and business; Molson Family and business records, First three generations; Molson Family records, Fourth generation and later; and Molson's Brewery Limited and its succecssors records. Fonds also contains photographic materials. 1,566 photographs, ca. 1840-1971, depict activities of Molson Brewery Ltd. throughout Canada, ca. 1840-1971; breweries; members of the Molson family: Herbert Molson, Zoe Pantland Molson, Thomas Henry Pentland, Hartland Molson, Naomi Molson, and Mary Molson; Molson family yachts: Nooya, Curlew II, Nooya IV, V, and Aztec. 3,022, photographs, ca. 1840-1975, relate to activities of Molson's Brewery Ltd. Fonds also consists of audio-visual records, 1927-1994, documenting the activities of the company and their operating unit Molstar Communications. Fonds consists of architectural, technical drawings pertaining to Molson's Brewery offices, warehouses and other buildings, plans of stills and distilling apparatus, family residences, garages, Molson Stadium, and family boats. Engineering drawings include various locomotive engines, marine engines, rolling mill engines, steam engines, and many other types, as well as plans of bridges, viaducts and docks. Maps relate to Molson property sites, World War I , a map of India, and a sketch of the site for Historic Fort York.
Medals, pin (lapel badge), plaque, token
Microfilm reel M-8276
Microfilm reel M-8279
Microfilm reel H-1880
Microfilm reel M-8273
Microfilm reel M-8275
Microfilm reel M-8281
Microfilm reel M-8278
Microfilm reel M-8286
Microfilm reel M-8284
Microfilm reel M-8280
Microfilm reel H-1883
Microfilm reel M-8285
Microfilm reel H-1881
Microfilm reel H-1882
Microfilm reel M-8277
Microfilm reel M-8287
Microfilm reel M-8274
Microfilm reel M-8282
Microfilm reel M-8272
Microfilm reel M-8283
from 05389 to 05390
from A 0173 to A 0175
from H-1880 to H-1883
from M-8272 to M-8287
HER-148 Item no. assigned by LAC 3
Item no. assigned by LAC 4
from 2000950432 to 2000950433 Item no. assigned by LAC 1
Item no. assigned by LAC 2 -- 3
Photographs: No donor restrictions. Various copyrights on items created on or after 1 January 1949. Copyright expired on items created before 1 January 1949. Credit: Molson Archives / National Archives of Canada / copy negative no.
Cartographic materials, architectural and technical drawings and related materials: No donor restrictions. Credit: Library and Archives Canada.
Paintings, drawings (including cartoons), prints, photomechanical reproductions, watercolours (incl. gouaches), letterpress items, albums of prints (incl. calendars), photographs of drawings and watercolours and paintings and prints (accessions 1989-406 DAP, 1987-029 PIC, 1982-019 PIC, 1989-478, 1985-058 PIC, 1977-018 PIC, 1986-073 PIC): No donor restrictions. Copyright: Various. Credit: National Archives of Canada / Copy negative no.
Seven medals, a pair of cuff-links and one token, 1864-1937, predominant 1907-1946 (accession 1977-039 MED): To be determined. Copyright: Expired. Credit: National Archives of Canada / Accession 1977-039.
Eric Elsdale Molson commemorative plaque, 1915 (accession 1983-044 MED); Molson Employees Association pinchback lapel badge, ca. 1986 (accession 1989-532 DAP): No donor restrictions. Copyright: Expired. Credit: National Archives of Canada.
Moving images: Reproduction and use require the written permission of copyright owner. Donor restrictions vary.
Sound recordings: Reproduction and use require the written permission of copyright owner. Donor restrictions vary.
Textual records Finding Aid no. 1707 consists of two volumes. Volume 1 is a file list for volumes 1-372, and includes item-by-item lists of correspondence and legal documents. Volume II is a file list for volumes 373-637 and a list for microfilm reels M-8272 to M-8287. An item-by-item list for the microfilm reels is available at the beginning of reel M-8272. MSS1707 (Paper)
Textual records Finding aid. MSS1707 (Electronic)
3,022, photographs, ca. 1840-1975 (accession 1977-040 NPC): Index by subject, supplemental captions list and exhibition prints given by Shirley Woods located in 2000775638. Box contents list and subject index located in 326. FA-066 (Paper)
Photographic materials Many of the accession level records list individual photographers and photographic studios (accessions 1986-026 NPC, 1989-309 DAP, 1993-246 DAP). These include such famous names as William Notman & Sons of Montreal. (Electronic)
1,004 photographs, n.d., 1951-1986, predominant 1954-1979 (accession 1993-246 NPC): The accession records provides considerable detail on subjects as well as photographers. (Electronic)
Cartographic materials, architectural and technical drawings: Please consult lower level descriptions. Itemized listings are available, indexed by building type and architect. 90 (Other)
11 oil and tempera paintings, one gouache, seven drawings, 48 engravings and lithographs and wood engravings, five photomechanical reproductions, one photograph of a drawing, 137 letterpress items, and one album of lithographed calendars, 1864-1937, predominant 1907-1946 (accession 1977-039 MED): Description on line, item level. (Electronic)
Seven medals, a pair of cuff-links and one token, 1864-1937, predominant 1907-1946 (accession 1977-039 MED); one Eric Elsdale Molson commemorative plaque, 1915 (accession 1983-044 MED): Description on line, item level. (Electronic)
Seven medals, a pair of cuff-links and one token (accession 1977-039 MED): Medal inventory numbers 2533 to 2541. (Paper)
Eric Elsdale Molson commemorative plaque, 1915 (accession 1983-044 MED): Medal inventory card: 12017. (Paper)
Molson Employees Association pinchback lapel badge, ca. 1986 (accession 1989-532 DAP): Medal inventory card: 13895. (Paper)
Moving images Refer to MINISIS for item-level descriptions. (Electronic)
Sound recordings Refer to MINISIS for item-level descriptions. (Electronic)
Biography / Administrative history
Molson's Brewery was founded in Montreal in 1786 by John Molson (1863-1836), who had immigrated from Lincolnshire in 1782. In partnership with his sons John (d. 1860), Thomas (d. 1863) and William (d. 1875), Molson later entered such fields as steam-boating, distilling, hotel-keeping and banking, although the family ultimately withdrew from all of these areas. Later heads of the brewery included John H.R. Molson (1826-1897), Frederick William Molson (1860-1929), Herbert Molson (1875-1938), Herbert William (1882-1955) and Senator Hartland Molson (b. 1907). The brewery was owned by a series of partnerships until it became a private corporation in 1911 under the name Molson's Brewery Limited, and a public corporation in 1945. Between 1953 and 1962 Molson's established breweries in six provinces outside Quebec, and the firm subsequently diversified through acquisitions in a number of non-brewing areas.
Works on the Molsons include The Barley and the Stream by Merrill Denison (1955) and The Molson Saga by Shirley Woods (1983).
An application for a building licence, 6 March 1911, signed by Herbert Molson, can be found in the Cartographic and Architectural collection file.
The majority of the textual records were received from the Molson Companies Limited, Montreal, Que. between 1976 and 1992. Material relating to Baron Molson was received from Rt. Hon. Arthur Hugh Elsdale, Baron Molson, London, England, in 1983. Material relating to Senator Hartland Molson was received from Senator Hartland Molson, Montreal, Que. in 1993. The microfilm records were received from the McGill Archives, Montreal, Que. in 1993. The majority of graphic materials; cartographic records, architectural drawings, technical drawings and related materials; medallic items and related objects; moving images; and sound recordings were were acquired from the Molson Companies Limited, Montreal, Quebec. The 1,004 photographs, n.d., 1951-1986, predominant 1954-1979 (accession 1993-246 DAP) were acquired from the Molson Companies, Toronto, Ontario. Some of the non-textual materials were acquired from the Rt. Hon. Arthur Hugh Elsdale, Baron Molson, including one photograph, 1939 (accession 1983-218 NPC); and the Eric Elsdale Molson commemorative plaque, 1915 (accession 1983-044 MED). Some of the non-textual materials were acquired from Senator Hartland Molson, including 23 photographs, 1940-1985 (accession 1993-376 DAP); and ten architectural drawings, 1939-1954 (accession 81203/40 CA). The two paintings, one photolithograph and one photograph, ca. 1840-1885, (accession 1987-029 PIC) include some materials acquired from the family, and some acquired from the Molson Companies, Ltd.. Some of the published materials transferred to the Public Archives Library on 28 September 1983 were acquired from Lord Molson, and others from the Molson family. The Molson Companies Ltd. calendar, ca. 1939 (accession 1986-073 (PIC) was a gift from Clifford Carruthers of Kazabazua, Quebec, 22 May 1985.
A significant portion of this fonds was arranged by the Archivist-Historian of Molson Breweries in Canada, after transfer to the National Archives, to facilitate the addition of new accruals, transfers, etc.
Location of originals note
Associated material note
Molson calendar printing plates, 1930, 1931, 1932, 1939 (2), 1940, 1941, 1942, 1948, 1949, 1950, n.d. (2): Transferred to the Museum of Science and Technology.
Plates for printing an image entitled Notre Dame St. in 1808, possibly for a Christmas card: Transferred to the Museum of Science and Technology.
Numismatic items, including banknotes (Molsons Bank, 1916, 1922, acquired from the Rt. Hon. Arthur Hugh Elsdale, Baron Molson; Molsons Bank currency, 1853): Transferred to the National Currency Collection of the Bank of Canada on 28 September 1983.
Some artifacts: Transferred to the History Division, Museum of Man.
Miniature trowel commemorating the opening of Molsons Ontario Brewery, Toronto, 17 August 1955 and a cigarette lighter in the form of a beer cask, marked "Crown & Anchor 1954": Transferred to the Museum of Civilization on 28 July 1989.
Dates of creation note
1. Breweries - Canada, 1792-1977 Thomas Henry Pentland Molson, [1911-1978]
2. Brewing industry - Canada, 1792-1977 Percival Talbot Molson, [1860-1975]
3. Molson family, 1792-1977 Arthur Hugh Elsdale Molson (Baron Molson), [1860-1975]
4. Business enterprises - Canada, 1792-1977 Herbert William Molson, [1860-1975]
5. John H.R. Molson - Estate, 1897-1898 Walter Molson, [1860-1975]
6. Thomas Molson - Estate, 1863-1869 Henry Markland Molson, 1897-1912.
7. Canada - Armed Forces, [1801-1910] Frederick William Molson, 1898-1935, 1941.
8. Yachts and yachting - Canada, [1801-1910, 1903-1973] McGill University (Montreal, Quebec), [1890-1967]
9. Land - England, [1703-1912] Herbert Molson, [1890-1967]
10. Land titles - Registration and transfer, [1703-1912] Mrs. Herbert Molson, [1860-1975]
11. Land leases, [1703-1912] Curlew (Yacht), 1903-1973.
12. Land sales, [1703-1912] Pigeon and Company, [1789-1939, 1965]
13. Mortgages, [1703-1912] Molsons Bank, [1789-1939, 1965]
14. Antenuptial contracts, [1703-1912] North West Company, [1789-1939, 1965]
15. Distilleries - Canada, [1789-1939, 1965] Nooya (Yacht), [1801-1910]
16. Shipping - Canada, [1789-1939, 1965] Montreal (Quebec), [1801-1910]
17. Sugar trade, [1789-1939, 1965] Andrew Shaw, [1767-1874]
18. Kingston (Ont.) - Business enterprises, [1789-1939, 1965] John H.R. Molson and Brothers, 1861-1863, 1866-1892, 1906-1911.
19. Port Hope (Ont.) - Business enterprises, [1789-1939] Thomas and William Molson and Company, 1836-1861.
20. Montreal (Quebec) - Associations, institutions, etc., [1903-1973] John and William Molson, 1829-1836.
21. Herbert Molson - Career in the military, [1890-1967] John Molson and Sons, 1822-1829.
22. Harry Markland Molson, [1779-1912]
23. John H.R. Molson, [1779-1912]
24. William Molson, [1779-1912]
25. Thomas Molson, [1779-1912]
26. John II Molson, [1779-1912]
27. John Molson, [1755-1912]
Other system control no.
Related control no.
1. 1977-018 PIC
2. 1977-039 MED
3. 1977-040 NPC
4. 1982-019 PIC
5. 1983-044 MED
6. 1983-218 NPC
7. 1985-058 NPC
8. 1985-058 PIC
9. 1985-108 NPC
10. 1986-026 NPC
11. 1986-073 PIC
12. 1986-098 NPC
13. 1987-029 PIC
14. 1989-309 DAP
15. 1989-406 DAP
16. 1989-478 DAP
17. 1989-532 DAP
18. 1993-246 DAP
19. 1993-376 DAP
20. 1993-431 DAP
- Date modified: