To submit a comment, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Warning: Descriptive record is in process. These materials may not yet be available for consultation.
Description found in Archives
Place of creation
No place, unknown, or undetermined
Scope and content
Fonds consists of letters from Austin Clarke to John Harewood relating to NBCC affairs and personnel, Contrast, important Blacks in Canada and abroad and on Canadian and American society in general, 1972-1985; National Black Coalition of Canada, correspondence, executive board records, National Black Awards documentation, NBCC publications, other publications and papers on the Black community in Canada, news clippings, Brief to Parliamentary Committee on Visible Minorities, 1983, pamphlets, learning units on Black history, agenda of Black Symposium in Windsor in 1977 and several papers on the NBCC, n.d., 1970-1984.
The finding aid is a file list. MSS1602 (Paper)
Biography / Administrative history
John Harewood was born in Barbados and educated in St. Michael's, before coming to Canada in 1958. He studied classics at the University of Toronto (Trinity College), then went to Hopedale, Labrador, in 1961 where he worked as principal of the community school. He returned to Toronto in 1963, to do graduate work. In 1966 he moved to Ottawa, where he was visiting lecturer and later assistant professor at the University of Ottawa.
He joined the NBCC in 1970, and in 1976 and 1978-1979 respectively, chaired and participated in committees which re-structured that organization. For nine years he wrote a column for Contrast, where he developed an expertise in the affairs of both Contrast and the NBCC. In 1982 he was a founder of the Ottawa chapter of the NBCC. He has written on Blacks in Canada, taught part-time at Algonquin College and done the occasional briefing at C.I.D.A.
1. Human rights workers - Canada, n.d., 1970-1985 John Harewood, 1972-1985.
2. Activists - Canada, n.d., 1970-1985 National Black Coalition of Canada, 1972-1985.
3. Blacks - Canada, n.d., 1970-1985 Parliamentary Committee on Visible Minoritite, 1983.
4. Associations, institutions, etc., - Canada, n.d., 1790-1985 Black Symposium (Windsor, Ont.), 1977.
5. Blacks - Societies, etc., n.d., 1970-1985 National Black Awards, n.d., 1970-1984.
6. Human rights - Canada, n.d., 1970-1985.
7. Ethnic groups, n.d., 1970-1985.
8. Canada - Ethnic relations, n.d., 1970-1985.
9. Minorities - Canada, n.d., 1970-1985.
10. Blacks - Awards, n.d., 1970-1984.
Other system control no.
- Date modified: